1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide - READ THIS

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Khaos, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Mar 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Did you get your precious photos ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Coil seat ?

2. Mar 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    It should look like a bell when installed correctly.

3. Mar 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    for the 5100's , OME is the other way

4. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    KPT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    True. The title of his post referenced 5100s though.

5. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    Brett C

Brett C Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Edgewood Tx.
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Yes, I put on the toytech springs awhile back , now I'm adding the Bilstein 5100's .

6. Mar 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    BearBait

BearBait New Member

Member:
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD
    Hey all,
    I have an 05 TRD Access Cab. Stock rear leaf springs are cracked (driver side is one good bump from failing altogether). I picked up a set of barely used Skyjacker TCR515S Soft ride springs that should jump the rear up about 1.5 inches. I want to put the Bilstein 5100 adjustable heights in the front. If the 5100's need to be set at 1.75 to level the stock leafs where do I need to set them for the additional 1.5 the Skyjackers will add?

I've been through and through trying to find an answer to avoid asking a question that has already been asked a million times, but no luck. Any help if hugely appreciated!

7. Mar 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    KPT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Most folks run 2.5" front with1.5" rear.

8. Mar 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    don't see that

9. Mar 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    3" OME lift (HD), LR UCAs, All-Pro Sliders, All-Pro APEX Front Bumper w/PIAA 530 Fogs, All-Pro Skidplate, 1" diff drop, vent visors, OCTaco Braided Lines, baby seat (forward-facing)
    Hells yeah! OME products are great IMO. I ran Dakar leafs in my 95 and couldn't have been happier. It beat the hell out of replacing stock springs (aftermarket and OEM, which I broke). :mad: Tacomas still have shit springs after all of these years. SMH.

I installed the 2" OME Heavy Kit (SKU: OMETACO5HK) on my 2011 and can really freight the truck without much sag in the rear. As a DD under warranty I can't afford to go up 6" yet, so the 2" was a perfect option. The truck handles a lot better as well. You can have the dealer install it as well and avoid them hassling you about warranty issues. I did my own (fairly easy install) so I could afford to buy armor.

10. Mar 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    KPT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    [​IMG]

11. Mar 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    Cwpick76

Cwpick76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CW
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Xsp-X
    Blacked out badges.
    Have a 2013 4x4 Tacoma. I want to strengthen the suspension to be able to handle fast off road driving (trails/fields, desert/sand, bumps hops etc...) Any help or suggestions

12. Mar 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Interesting , doesn't show that way on Tapatalk

13. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Someone was there .

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I'd suggest reading the Mid Travel and Long Travel threads for gussetting tips. You also need to think about what kind of aftermarket suspension you want to use, because the OEM parts won't like that kind of abuse.

14. Mar 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Cwpick76

Member:
    First Name:
    CW
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Xsp-X
    Blacked out badges.
    Didn't see a midtravel thread. Wasnt sure if long travel was the option. I understand that I would need to replace pretty much all of OEM suspension. but wasn't sure about what I need to save some money up to buy. and any help with reliable brands of aftermarket would be great. also if there are any particular specs i need to take into account when buying upgrades would be helpful.

I am not looking for full race spec or anything like that (unless I need to). I want to build a parts list to start working on an upgrade until i have a full set of what I need.

15. Mar 17, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I'm by no means a knowledgeable person on Tacoma suspensions, but this is an overview of what I've picked up from a few months on TW.

Mid Travel with BS Thread - There's a LOT of information in there, but it isn't always easy to find what you're after. I subscribed mainly to follow along. Try seaching that thread for ideas.

2nd Gen. Builds - Start cruising through these to get a feel for what you like, what modifications will allow you to do what you want to do, etc. People are usually happy to answer questions in their build threads, and many have detailed information, like DIYs and parts lists. For example, here's the parts list for my mid travel suspension.

My mid travel setup is actually fairly mild compared to many, but it should be fine for me. Before tires, I'll have a little over $3k in the suspension. There are less expensive, very capable options that may also meet your needs, such as an OME, Bilstein, or other setup.

Long travel is a whole different world, with amazing amounts of money spent to build amazingly capable trucks. LT trucks can make high speed desert runs through terrain that's beat anything else to death, and they can make very impressive jumps in the dunes. They aren't the most practical vehicles for daily drivers, and if you get into LT, you'll get used to making repairs. If you read an LT build thread, you'll see what I mean. Done right, LT will cost several thousand in parts and a take lot of labor. While an MT suspension can largely be a bolt-on install, LT will require a fair amount of welding to reinforce a lot of areas, along with other custom work.

Take your time and you'll find the right answer for you.

16. Mar 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    Rollin77

Rollin77 Member

Member:
    Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 Blown Toy Taco TRD Sport
    TRD supercharger. TRD catback.
    So I'm another looking to get some height and a much better ride out of my stiff 2011 TRD dual cab. (Im looking for 3"). I don't off road almost ever. I'm looking to run a larger wheel, preferably a 20, but I could go down to 18. (Ex- 285/70/20- somewhere in that are). I'm hearing lots about toytec and OME. I would also change the UCAs. what's the best equipment from both that'll work perfect for me? You guys are great!!
    Thanks alot

17. Mar 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Longtime Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Silver State Edition
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s Click the sig pic to see the build thread .
    OME is great on road & off.
    OME 885s without a spacer will give you 2.5" & with a 1/4" spacer will give you a full 3".
    Dakars in rear if you want to maintain rake or 1 1/2" to 2" AAL if you want to level it.

18. Mar 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I'll add that if you end up needing UCAs, Light Racing seems to have the least expensive option.

19. Mar 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    3" OME lift (HD), LR UCAs, All-Pro Sliders, All-Pro APEX Front Bumper w/PIAA 530 Fogs, All-Pro Skidplate, 1" diff drop, vent visors, OCTaco Braided Lines, baby seat (forward-facing)
    Any major lift you put in is going to void just about every warranty you have. That means the emperor is going to leave you high and dry when a commonly known fault happens.

If you're happy with 2-3" of lift get the OME kit. Its new springs and shocks all around, they are heavy duty and time tested. You can get the whole kit (everything you need) for $900-1000, and if you have a moderately stocked garage you can do the install yourself in under a day.

Are you really going to pound the snot out of a brand new truck?

20. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    Cwpick76

Member:
    First Name:
    CW
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Xsp-X
    Blacked out badges.

2-3" is fine. not really looking to make it stand up more, but I know I will need more clearance and room for suspension to travel.

This is what I saw on toytec:

OME Suspension lift kit
    Front coil options: Heavy_886_coils_(200+_lbs_add_front_weight)
    Top plate spacers: No_top_plate_spacers
    Rear Options: Complete rear OME CS047R springs with U bolts (+ $469.00)
    Front Diff drop kit: 4X4
    Add Rear shock stone guards (Pair): Yes (+ $26.00)
    NEW! Assemble front shocks/coils with new bushings: NO

Do I need front diff drop kit? (what does it do?)
    Should I get top plate spacer? (what does it do?)
    Do I need to replace UCA? or lower? or both?
    Most kits have said get longer rear brake lines, is that true here?
    $100 for them to assemble front shocks/coils with new bushings...Is it worth it?

As far as pounding the snot out of a brand new truck... "new" is a relative term. I am only looking to pound the crap out of the suspension ;-

The suspension is just my next project on the truck and I am looking to start buying parts and pieces, or at least saving up for them. Installing them is still down the road... I will put it through moderate paces, moderate speeds. Mainly I want to be able to have some fun in it without worrying about an OEM part imploding because I did some wheeling in it.

To Top