1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vF Tuning for Manual Transmission 3rd Gens

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tonered, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Oct 1, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Hello, Folks.

With what appears to be a small divergence in the force editing methods, I'm just kicking off a thread for the MT folks digging into the vF tunes.

First, the hidden upgrade link for existing Flash Kit folks is gone. Please send a message to @OVTune to upgrade.

@Shellshock 's vF Installation Guide and FAQ:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/vf-tuner-installation-guide-faq.695951/

Map Edits Attempted:
    See the complete map list for vF Versions 1.2.7.0, 1.2.8.1, 1.2.9.9.2 attached. 04C30 has some different maps. Lots of map updates.​

Engine - ACIS Activation RPM
    1D Map
    -- OVT: dyno'ed for best activation.
    -- Might become a 3D vF map
    -- Not verified​

Engine - Cruise Control Active Minimum Speed
    1D Map
    AFAIK, this feature is not working.
    -- Stock: 15kph
    -- Tried 1kph and 10kph / 6mph - @tonered
    -- Minimum was still 40kph / 25mph​

Engine - Vehicle Maximum Speed Global
    1D Map
    -- Stock: 173kph / 107mph
    -- Set to 312kph / 200mph - @tonered , @su.brat
    -- Not verified​

Air Load Control - Ignition and Throttle Efficiency (ALC)
    Was: Control and Expected Air Flow
    4D Maps

Cylinder Head - Base Intake Valve Angle (BIVA)
    3D Maps
    -- Thread: None yet
    -- Successful edits:
    V1 - @92ehatch - see the attached map data spreadsheet and 04B41 tune​

Alternator Constant
    1D and 2D Maps
    -- @Shellshock 's AGM Settings Post Update:

Idle Control - Cold Start Target Idle
    2D Map
    -- Stock: variable between 950rpm to 1,600rpm
    -- Set to 900rpm in both maps - @tonered

DriveTrain Control
    1D Maps
    -- Gear and Tire Sizes have no affect on MT tunes.
    -- AT only​

Accelerator - Acceleration Throttle Request to Airload (ATRA)

Torque Model - Torque Calculation Base During Full Throttle
    3D Map
    -- Stock: 4000
    -- Set to 5000
    -- @OVTune 's explanation (credit @su.brat ):

Throttle Management - First Gear Throttle Limiter
    2D Maps
    -- Stock: variable and wayy too freakin' low
    -- Maps for 1st Gear, 4Hi, 4Lo, and Reverse
    -- Set to 100% - @tonered , @su.brat
    -- Credit @Karminski :

Acceleration - Primary Throttle Efficiency Target (PTET)
    Was: Primary Throttle Torque Target (PTTT)
    3D Map

Acceleration - Primary Throttle Efficiency Target 1st Gear (PTET1G)
    Was: Primary Throttle Torque Target 1st Gear (PTTT1G)
    3D Map
    -- Thread: None yet, but part of PTET
    -- Credit @Karminski :
    -- @92ehatch has some small edits here? I think this is the latest?

Faults
    1D Maps
    -- 0420 and 0430 Byte maps
    -- Setting these to 0 will help with CELs, esp for folks with OVT Dump Tubes.
    -- From @OVTune :
    Thanks, @Shellshock .​

Logs:
    -- Thread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-vf-editing-log-thread.690206/
    -- To help build a spot where logs can be filed and compared.
    -- Data log viewing:

If anybody has any threads or pertinent links, let me know and I will update this post.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Formidable, C41n, FCL30 and 9 others like this.
  2. Oct 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    A great ToC post from @Karminski :

Sorry, man!

Also just in case, the vF Instruction set:
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0885/5830/files/vForest_Tuner_Instructions.pdf?v=1592182954

@Stormpeacock made an editing vid:
    Sorry, man!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Stormpeacock[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 1, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    My threads / edits:

Primary Throttle Torque Target map edit:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ovt-vf-linear-throttle-edit.685735/

Air Load Control map edits:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ovt-vf-torque-limit-edit.685741/

My review of these edit and questions:

Watkinseli91 and su.b.rat like this.
  4. Oct 1, 2020 at 1:51 PM
    ShirtTucker

ShirtTucker Taco Tip Line: 248-434-5508

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 V6 Sport AC MT
    Lots-o-stuff
    Thanks Tony. I always believed the AT and MT data should be separated to make it easier to find the correct data.

The_Mule, b3itz and tonered[OP] like this.
  5. Oct 1, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    You're welcome!

Yeah. I found I was skipping most posts in the main thread and we already got caught out on an edit.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    CorbinDallas and Karminski like this.
  6. Oct 1, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Just gonna put this here:
    Sorry, man!

Karminski and 92ehatch[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Oct 1, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    92ehatch

92ehatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue DC TRD OR 6MT
    (Putting this here since its a manual thing, and now ill get alerts for this thread)

I did not see Matts file for the air as it was sent in an 04b04 example. I just did what he highlighted previously but made some slight smoothing adjustments.

I was able to get the throttle down to 14% again (which i think is the minimum) But i think i can actually get it lower than that (hense the stalling concerns)

My theory is this. Looking at the X and Y graphs you have 700 RPM, this is idle, 0 Throttle,

The next item is 1300 RPM (coincidently the point where DFCO lets loose)

Then i noticed that when i removed the negatives my throttle would not close beyond 18% (Except at idle)

So i increased the amount on negatives, putting -10.5 everywhere under 0 throttle. then i did some smoothing, paying close attention to the value at 1300 in relation to 700. The larger the change, the larger the difference. So i made them super close (within one degree) Im assuming the system automatically interpolates between values. Meaning that if you have a jump from 700 to 1300 of 10 then it will interpolate that (the jerk you get when DFCO stops)

So i made the jump from 1300 to 700 a mere 1.5 (a gentle slope if you will)

I have some more theories on this (and rev hang) but im gonna have to test that somewhere i wont stall or get in an accident (as i have no idea what will happen, and i dont know how to computer handles transition from running to idle)

Other than the fact that matt said Idle is not a seperate map (so it must be controlled through the throttle plate)

With that said, if you want to plug a -10.5 in for 700 @ 0 throttle, be my guest (im gonna try a more subtle approach)

EDIT: and when we can modify the x and y axis, ill be able to get rid of that 600 rpm jump between 700 and 1300

tonered[OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 1, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    92ehatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    InkedPrimary throttle Torque Target Gear 1_LI.jpg

An interesting thought i have (while im digging into rev hang and dfco)

Why does this table have a throttle angle of below 14% if the truck doesnt go below that (at idle, it stays at 14%, occasionally dropping to 13.7%)

Also, there seems to be a direct correlation between the % under the primary table and this one. Putting in all those negative numbers requests less throttle (more engine braking during decel) I confirmed this through setting them all to 0 and finding that my throttle plate didnt go under 18 and i lost a lot of engine braking.

I feel this is the key to rev hang. If we can force that throttle plate closed at 0 throttle, regardless of RPM then it should stop it from hanging, unless there is code somewhere else to prevent this.

The real question is how to do that, without creating a giant step in throttle (tip in) or a huge decrease in throttle sensitivity throughout the RPM band.

Im going to attempt to drop the plate as much as possible, without stalling, while not affecting the acceleration, and see if i can kick rev hang to the curb.

I think this fix will come through the primary target gear 1, and dropping the numbers below 15% throttle to a lower value, without modifying my primary throttle table

su.b.rat and tonered[OP] like this.
  9. Oct 1, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    You might be on to something? Also, with Rev Hang engaging above about 2,500rpm, I wonder if that flat section on the bottom left were to match the upper left, may be the life would be good?

It also begs the question of smoothing the whole map in a single stroke?

b3itz likes this.
  10. Oct 2, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    HeyMrCarter

HeyMrCarter Well-Known Member

Member:
    All,

I first want to say thank you to @tonered and all of you who are helping make this tune even better. I played around some with the primary throttle torque target table and ended up with a pretty good result.

1. Set all first gear torque limit values to 100%
    2. Used @tonered 's Air Load Control map edits:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ovt-vf-torque-limit-edit.685741/
    3. Updated the Primary Throttle Torque Target map with my own custom values as shown in the picture/excel file below

So far I am really digging this tune combo. On the throttle map, I kept the sub-2K RPM range essentially stock as well as the 0 and 9.25 columns. At 11, I used transitionary numbers, and above 2K RPMs/14%, the map transitions to a more linear edit like @tonered's map. So far the results for me have been very smooth. The throttle tip-in at light throttle/low RPM is very controllable for creeping along and the jerky/staged acceleration has been eliminated.

Throttle Map.jpg

Attached Files:

tonered[OP] likes this.
  11. Oct 2, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Thanks for the feedback! I am glad that you are enjoying it. :cheers:

Thank for posting up the spreadsheet of your work. That reminds me that I never posted mine!

I am using the Stock Primary Throttle Torque Target map at the moment, but will edit it soon.

Attached Files:

12. Oct 2, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    Karminski

Karminski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma D/C M/T TRD Off-Road
    I seem to be on the same page with most folks here, but my issue seems to be in a little different area. I haven't had a chance to try out the some other resent samples, but I'm looking to smooth out the 2K - 3K Rpm range with mid-range Accelerator (maybe 40%). Real light throttle is good and WOT is good but in the middle I get a few pulses. Its in all gears, but 4th is the easiest to verify with stock gearing. It's not really bad, but everything else is getting so good. I also feel this in every tune I've played with, to include stock. I'm sure driving style has a lot to do with why I feel it where I do.

I have my "Acceleration-Primary Throttle Torque Target" table set up like this.

P.S. Please forgive the highlighted cell and my OCD in the 100 column :wink: I realize 100 isn't really a valid value.

Oh... and sorry - this was based off the "04B14+2.0+Rev+Hang+Clutch+Hang.vft" tune as a starting point.

Attached Files:

tonered[OP] likes this.
  13. Oct 2, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    That sounds a bit like @MOC221_ 's problem that was happening on his 2019? Am I right?

14. Oct 2, 2020 at 1:33 PM
    92ehatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    @Karminski

These are my primary torque and gear 1 files

Today i drove a bit different from my normal style. I left it revving a bit more, i was punching the throttle harder from both lower rpm and higher rpm (3k)

There is some definite smoothing needed in the 2500+ range with heavier throttle (26+ pedal)

I made it with the thought of smooth down low for cruising and power when i need it. It has both of those, its just a little steppy when getting into the go pedal at those ranges.

it also loses traction in the rear when turning and getting on it in first gear (a bad thing?) depends on who you ask

Attached Files:

mZiggy, Karminski and tonered[OP] like this.
  15. Oct 2, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Is Rev Hang and 1st gear DFCO still feeling great?

Thanks for posting the files. :hattip:

16. Oct 2, 2020 at 2:39 PM
    92ehatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    the rev still hang, id like to say its better than before but when you factor in hope, placebo, etc i can probably say nothing has changed.

DFCO feels a lot smoother. I managed to get on a steeper slope and it let loose a bit more aggressive in 1st gear but is definitely better than prior. I don't think it can be eliminated with the current maps available in VF, however i am pretty sure that it can be lessened/smoothed. at some point the engine has to give more fuel to keep running, that will never change.

I also had a thought that maybe we are going about it wrong.

I was able to really hurt my engine braking by changing the numbers at 0 throttle and keeping the throttle plate more open. - this lessened the effect as there was less engine braking, so less forward motion feeling, when it let loose, it felt less because i wasnt slowing as hard

I was able to smooth the transition by making the 0 throttle numbers smoother at the 1300 rpm to 700 rpm range - this gives the full engine brake effect with a slight jump back into fuel delivery

The difficulty is:

The truck is going to let loose regardless. It has to.

Trying to force the plate "closed" is going to increase engine braking until the fuel is turned back on making a greater feel of reingagement.

I think if i try to lessen the engine braking smoothly while coming down to idle, somewhat forcing an early engine brake release in an rpm range i can control better.

I also thing this is going to be better achieved through the target in gear one vs the primary as the target in gear one includes rpm ranges that the other doesn't have.

I also think that if i do this, i will negatively affect my attempts to stop rev hang

Im going to work on it this weekend, and try some things in my driveway/neighborhood to see how far i can push things.

tonered[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Oct 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Thanks!

Yeah. It is that 1st gear DFCO (injector) cut in that can be interesting at times. It has definitely been smoothed in 2.0, probably due to other map changes. I think life would be awesome if they came back on at the same revs as the other gears.

On Rev Hang, it is funny the games that our perceptions play with us. That can also change with the way the tunes settle in. It is really hard to make fine judgements with just a couple drive cycles.

18. Oct 2, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    92ehatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    Im placing my focus here.

The red objects are areas which i do not want to touch. The ones on the left are throttle angles in which i have not seen the truck go to

The ones on the right are mostly matts stuff, they are performance based numbers that i want to keep so it will move when i tell it to.

The top most right are numbers you will never hit, since once you push the pedal, the rpms rise, thus eliminating this part of the map. (unless you are lugging 6th gear)

The area in blue is the normal driving, normal throttle angles (up to fairly aggressive) this is the area i smoothed out the most and blended the stock map and Matts.

The area in pink is the throttle angle the truck will not go past (at least in my current attempts)

Notice the jump at idle RPM 800-600 with 13 - 15 throttle.

I think im going to create a bit of a bowl in the map, trying to keep the off idle, on throttle transition peppy and smooth.

dipping slightly (and i mean slightly) to keep a nice smooth acceleration request

and the values in pink, im going to drop them all by 10% and see what happens. Will my throttle close more than 14%? if it does will the numbers below that (which jump higher) cause me to have a loping idle? (is this anti stall?)

and lastly, can i smooth this out enough to get the DFCO results, and or rev hang results im looking for?

I may be wayyyyyyy off base and chasing my ass around a tree, but im willing to try.
    theoretical.jpg

i used my finger on my touch screen, i are not artist

tonered[OP] likes this.
  19. Oct 2, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    tonered

tonered [OP] bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    The AntiStall seems to be an on-off thing. Just a small rev bump that seems to activate if the revs dip near idle. Nothing lumpy in my experience.

I think 14% is all that we got to work with? At least that is what I'm thinking.

You're green area is my normal area also.

20. Oct 2, 2020 at 3:54 PM
    92ehatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    im just thinking if i actually get my throttle to go below that 14% number (if it will allow it) will the numbers in the next box cause the revs to jump back up, causing my throttle to open more, then my map telling it to close again, repeating the cycle, causing a lumpy idle.

We will find out, i just saved a new map with some changes that will either close it more than 14% (even at idle) or it wont.

I need to know what i can do, including making the thing not run. The best way of learning, is to screw it up, fix it, and not screw it up again.

Products Discussed in

To Top