1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PennSilverTaco's "Perfect 5-Lug Regular Cab" Build, Aspergers, and General BS MegaThread!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by PennSilverTaco, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jul 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco [OP] Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    ABOUT MY TRUCK:

With regards to my truck, my goal was to do a "Built the way Toyota should have built it" build! I'm happy to say that this goal has pretty much been reached. Unless I want to go through the trouble of adding power windows, power locks, and rear disc brakes, which I probably will not do, I do not think that there is much else I can do!

My truck was a gift from my parents when I got my learner's permit, purchased brand new in September 2009 with just 20 miles on the odometer. The title has been in my name since December 2016. As of July 2023, my truck has over 174K miles on the clock, and still runs like the day we brought her home!

One thing my truck sorely lacked was intermittent windshield wipers; This was added in December 2016! If you go by the listed date, all mods to my truck are easy to find in this thread! Pretty much EVERYTHING from the 2016 backup camera install onward can be found here!

After more than 13 years of ownership and over 158K miles of travel, the two most major things my truck has needed (NOT including the frame replacement in November 2021 that was covered by Toyota) are a master cylinder in February 2014 and an A/C evaporator core in September 2018. Everything else has all been either routine maintenance and/or normal wear and tear!

I switched to full synthetic oil at exactly 79,500 miles (January 2018), and I have been running Mobile 1 since a little over 84K miles (June 2018). I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I ran 0W20 until maybe a year ago, when my truck started burning miniscule amounts of oil and I switched to 5W20; Less than a month ago, I switched to 10W30 High-Mileage Formula when the oil usage issue manifested itself again. The oil usage issue was solved by replacing the PCV valve and the cam cover gasket in 2022.

This is a LONG thread which, as the title implies, has a lot of BS in it that has absolutely nothing to do with my truck. I understand and respect the fact that some people care more about what I've done to my truck over the years than reading my life story; As such, I've added links to almost everything done to my truck since about 2016...

If you DO want to read about me, that info can be found in the post just below this one!

ENJOY!

Exterior (As of July 2021, not including wheels and tires):
    • Weathertech rainguards (June or July 2017)
    • Weathertech bug deflector (May 2018)
    • 26% Window tint (the darkest I could go at this particular shop and still be legal under PA law; This means it lets in 74% of light - July 2018)
    • Tacraft blackout emblems (August or September 2018)
    • Switched from 16" aftermarket wheels back to 15" stock wheels after more than five years (March 2019)
    • ACANII LED taillights with black housing (September 2020; CLICK HERE for pre-install, HERE to see fully installed, and HERE to see at night)
    • AmeriLite LED Halo headlights (September 2020; CLICK HERE for install, HERE to see fully installed; and HERE to see at night)
    • GAS GUZZLER! (January 2021; CLICK HERE)
    • Westin E-series Bull Bar (July 2021; CLICK HERE to see unboxing; CLICK HERE to see on truck!)
    • @HomerTaco Toywerx Raptor-style grille (July 2021; CLICK HERE for new grille; CLICK HERE for first Toywerx grille installed May 2017)

Wheels and tires:
    • 235/75R15 Cooper Discoverer AT/3s (225/70R15 for spare)
    • The ORIGINAL custom painted wheel skins (February 2020; CLICK HERE, HERE, and HERE to see the skins in garish chrome form; CLICK HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE to see the my uncle's process of refinishing the wheel skins; CLICK HERE to see the finished product and installation; CLICK HERE and HERE to see on the truck); Got a bit chewed up during the winter of 2020-2021 and now relegated to "winter use" status.
    • New "Marty McFly style" black and chrome wheel skins, also done by my uncle (April 2021; CLICK HERE, HERE, and HERE to see my uncle's process of painting these; CLICK HERE to see them on them on the truck)

Interior (As of January 2020, not including stereo):
    • Weathertech floor liners (I forget when I got these; I believe it was sometime in 2016)
    • Ellis Precision billet aluminum custom engraved "TACOMA" gearshift lever (October 2017; CLICK HERE)
    • Wet Okole seat cover (CLICK HERE; September 2018)
    • Pep Boys steering wheel cover (I've had one for years and I just recently replaced it with an identical one sometime in the summer of 2019 when the first one wore out)
    • Hula girl (October 2020; CLICK HERE)

Stereo system/electronics (As of April 2020):
    • Pioneer AVH-1330NEX head unit (Reinstalled February 2021)
    • Rockford Fosgate R150X2 Prime 2-channel amplifier amplifier (March 2018; Powers component speakers only; CLICK HERE for amp/sub install; Same link as below)
    • Kicker 11HS8 8" Hideaway powered subwoofer (March 2018; CLICK HERE for amp/sub install; Same link as above)
    • JBL GTO 609C component speaker system (April 2018; CLICK HERE; Replaced Pioneer component system from 2013 that was worn out)
    • RoadKill sound deadening applied to back wall of cab (CLICK HERE; April 2018)

Functional/Safety:

• Clarion CC250 backup camera (Installed with now-gone Sony HU in September 2016; CLICK HERE)
    • Variable/Intermittent windshield wipers (December 2016; CLICK HERE)
    • Circular blind spot mirrors (either the summer of 2018 or 2019)
    • Meso Customs GassHole fuel cap holder (CLICK HERE and HERE; February 2020)
    • eTrailer.com trailer hitch (October 2020; CLICK HERE)
    • OEM-style cruise control (CLICK HERE for Part 1; December 2020; Finally made operational in March 2021!)
    • Specialty license plate (January 2021; CLICK HERE)
    • CALI RAISED LED foglights (January-February 2022)
    • 2" Pro Comp add-a-leaf/shock spacer/mild lift kit (March 2021; CLICK HERE)
    • THINKWARE HD DashCam with rear-facing camera (May 2021)

Rebirth (Frame Replacement):

Head Gasket Replacement:

Holiday/Seasonal:

Future plans:
    • Alarm system/remote start
    • Tonneau cover/Bestop

Various Adventures:

My truck has also been to hell and back in the last five years, especially in 2015, including getting rear-ended by a texting driver in March 2015 and sideswiped by a drunk driver in October 2015; CLICK HERE to see pictures of the damage from the drunk driver!

On Valentine's Day in 2022, my truck sustained about $3,000 in damage as a result of a freak accident at a scrap metal recycling facility; CLICK HERE!

HUGE SHOUTOUT TO...

My mom and dad
    My friend and neighbor Ryan McHugh
    My late friend James Aldredge
    The staff at Thompson Toyota (Especially Mike and Jaison in the service department) in Doylestown, Pennsylvania
    Pete Grenata and staff at The Fix Autoworks in Doylestown, Pennsylvania
    Ray "Butch" Urich and staff at Butch's Bodyworks in Danboro, Pennsylvania

FOR HELPING ME KEEP THIS DAMN TRUCK ON THE ROAD FOR MORE THAN A DECADE!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  2. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    ABOUT ME:

My name is Charlie, and I was born in Northern California on March 14th, 1989. I've been living in Bucks County, Pennsylvania since July 2005. I am the proud owner of a 2010 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 2WD (5-lug) that my parents bought brand new for me as a present of sorts when I finally got my learner's permit in 2009. The truck has been paid off since at least 2013 (My dad may have paid it off in late 2012, and I know for a fact that it was fully paid for by November 2013), the title is in my name, and I pay for the insurance and most of the maintenance, so yes, this is MY truck. My truck has accompanied me to numerous autism-related events over the years, including THIS ONE in July 2011 and THIS ONE in August 2020...

I also have Aspergers Syndrome, which is a high-functioning form of autism. Some people who know a lot about autism spectrum disorders can tell that I'm on the spectrum, but the vast majority are shocked when I tell them I have it. I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 9.

People are surprised because many of them lump all people with autism into one perceived stereotype, and are shocked that someone who is on the spectrum can do all the stuff that I've done. I have a driver's license, a college degree, a good job, and a ton of friends. When I hang out with my guy friends (some AS, some not), we do the same things a bunch of bros without AS would do; We get drunk, talk about cars and women, and happily engage in locker room talk about things like sex and bodily functions when there are no adults or females present. Some AS people I know are very socially awkward when it comes to romantic relationships and life in general. I won't go into explicit detail (literally or figuratively) on a public forum, but I can proudly say I've had quite a bit of fun with various women over the years.

Obviously, since I own a Tacoma, I know how to drive and thus have a driver's license. I also know how to drive a stick shift! This is something that one of my friends with AS who has a driver's license, and only a few of my friends who don't have AS, can do!

I have four close friends with Aspergers, and all of them have driver's licenses and their own vehicles. Sadly, none of them have trucks of any kind. One drives a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe, one drives a 2017 Kia Forte, and one drives 2011 Nissan Altima. The 4th one FINALLY got his license in October 2019 at the age of 30; He drives a 2017 Chevy Trax. When my one friend still had his learner's permit, I took him to the DMV course after hours and taught him how to parallel park in my truck.

I got my learner's permit when I was 20, in August 2009. My dad bought the Tacoma in September 2009. In 2011, at the age of 22, I finally took the driving test in my Tacoma. I failed the first time because I couldn't parallel park correctly, and finally passed it on the third try in May 2011.

Anyway, I have wheels and a license. I also graduated from Bucks County Community College with an associate's degree in journalism. I actually plan on becoming an HVAC technician, but even now, I am still not 100% sure what I want to do for a career.

From December to 2014 to January 2019, I worked as a barback at a bar/restaurant/music venue, owned by a friend of mine. I started out as a regular customer back in 2010, then made friends with the owner. A new general manager was hired in 2011, right around the time I got my driver's license. My Tacoma played an indirect role in my first meeting with my future boss (a story for another day, available upon request). If you'd told me ten years ago I'd be working at a bar and actually kind of enjoying it, I'd laugh at you. I started out as the general manager's personal assistant and errand runner, and then after about a year of working at Puck, I was put on the books as a barback. For those who don't know, a bar back is bartender's assistant who also performs duties like bussing tables, cleaning bathrooms, and picking up various bar supplies. It's not glamorous, but it beats the shit out of retail! I was effectively furloughed in January 2019, when the bar closed indefinitely for renovations (work hasn't even begun)!

I detailed cars at a large dealership from September 2018 to June 2019, while simultaneously working as a barback during my last four months or so at Puck. I did not like the detailing job very much for reasons too numerous to list here.

I currently work at a defense contractor called Navmar Applied Sciences (where my dad has also worked since 2007); My primary job is taking care of the company vehicles, and I have been there since September 2019. It's a desk job and it can be boring sometimes, but I love the company and who I work with; I also make $17.00/hour, get paid vacations, and have a 401K, so I'm not complaining!

When Puck reopens, I will barback on weekends to supplement my income; I also delivered food for DoorDash on weekends to make extra money prior to COVID, and plan on doing that again once the pandemic is over.

I am lifelong fan of Chevy trucks and hope to own one someday in addition to my beloved Tacoma, but my Tacoma is also much better for navigating congested streets and narrow alleyways of Doylestown than a full-size Chevy or GMC 1500.

It's worth noting that the "powers that be" recently lumped all autism spectrum disorders together in the DSM-5 and did away with Asperger's Syndrome as a diagnosis. I do not agree with this, especially since autism can go hand in hand with other intellectual disabilities and mental problems!

Interests of mine include photography, writing (obviously), Chevy and GMC trucks, Rolls-Royce motorcars, dogs, women, building LEGO models, binge-watching my favorite childhood cartoons on Disney+ and Hulu, and so much more!

I have recently developed an interest in postwar Rolls-Royce and Bentley motorcars, and dream of owning one someday (preferably a 1979-1980 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II, a 1980-1986 Rolls-Royce Camargue, or a 1992-1993 Bentley Continental R)!

Anyway, I have Asperger's and I drive a Tacoma. I'm wondering if anyone else out there is like me...

THE STARTING POST OF THE ORIGINAL THREAD THAT THIS SPECIFIC POST WAS FORMED FROM:

Also, instead of thinking ahead and "reserving posts" in a dedicated build thread, I kinda shot from the hip and did stuff on TW without thinking back in 2014. This build thread is merged together from numerous other threads I've started between July 2014 and the present day; The first two threads in this MegaThread are my original "New Member Intro" and a my very first question about a quirk with my truck's A/C system that I was experiencing at the time...

In general, my Taco has been a GREAT truck. However, this weird thing with the A/C has been going on for almost as long as we've owned it (purchased new in September 2009).

If I'm driving at highway speeds (about 55-70 miles per hour), and I have the A/C going, the A/C will cut out VERY BRIEFLY during bouts of rapid acceleration, like when I am passing a big rig or slow-moving vehicle in the left lane. For example, I will be traveling at 55-65 MPH and will briefly accelerate to 65-80 MPH (depending on the speed limit). It blows cool instead of freezing cold, and then goes right back to freezing cold. It is as if the compressor completely shuts off or disengages.

Just recently, I told my friend who is a mechanic about this and he thinks I might need a recharge. The guy at the Toyota dealer where I always bring my truck for routine maintenance said it is normal, and the engine is reducing strain on itself by reducing power to or completely shutting off the A/C compressor. Again, I have owned the truck since new and this has been going on since at least 2011. A/C works fine and blows cold otherwise.

I would like a second (or third) opinion. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    DRMetz, Key-Rei, tacoman45 and 8 others like this.
  3. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    That's pretty normal. Most cars, particularly those with smaller engines, do this. Rapid acceleration will cause the compressor to disengage. That way all of the engine's power is used to accelerate and not to drive the AC compressor. It used to be determined by a vacuum switch. With today's electronics, I'm not sure that's the case any longer.

4. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    It might also preserve the A/C compressor from spinning at excessively high rpms.

5. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    tacoma4

tacoma4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just as a check, you can run the car and have someone watch the compressor, then rev the engine up like you are passing someone and see if it clicks off. If it does the clutch may be having issues.

PennSilverTaco[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I doubt it'll do it without a load on the engine, but that would confirm whether there is an RPM cutout.

7. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    In addition to the problem with my A/C cutting out for like a millisecond during rapid acceleration, I have noticed that my A/C at times times doesn't seem to be as cold as it should.

The truck was purchased new in September 2009, when I still had my learner's permit. Summer 2010 in my area (Southeast Pennsylvania) was downright brutal and A/C worked flawlessly.

I finally got my driver's license in May 2011 and A/C worked perfectly that summer.

Summer 2012 in the Northeast was another memorably brutal summer with numerous heat waves. A/C again worked perfectly.

Summer 2013 was pretty hot, though not as bad as 2010 or 2012; The A/C worked perfectly.

It is now about halfway through summer 2014, and this is officially the 4th full summer I have had my license and thus have been driving the truck. A/C works, but it just seems like it isn't as cold as it as should be some of the time. In any vehicle with R134a, even when the A/C is working perfectly, the cooling performance will suffer when the vehicle is idling and/or in traffic and/or not moving that fast. Once you get going, the A/C works better. Most of the time, even when sitting in the hot sun, my A/C blew ICE COLD. However, this summer I've been noticing that the A/C struggles more than it did before in extreme heat (90°F+). The air coming out of the vents cools off almost immediately after I start the truck, and once I get moving, the A/C works good regardless of outside temperature. At times, it seems to blow colder in the evening than during the day, though this isn't that noticeable. In 2010, temperatures in my area went over 100°F and the A/C was working perfectly.

Overall, I'd say the A/C in my truck works just fine, but I'm just worried I have a slow leak somewhere?

The condenser has never been damaged or replaced, and neither have any other A/C components. The blower was replaced under warranty in 2011 or 2012 due to an annoying noise it made, but the A/C system has never been opened up or serviced.

I crawled underneath the truck and saw no damage to the condenser, though there were bugs in it (The A/C in my aunt's 2001 Jeep Cherokee stopped blowing cold due to a dirty condenser, and once it was cleaned it worked fine). Tomorrow, er, later this morning LOL (it's almost 12:30 where I live), I will wash the condenser with the garden hose. I inspected the compressor and lines, as did my mechanic friend, and there were no signs of any damage.

Again, as of right now, the A/C in my truck works and blows cold for the most part, but I am worried there could be an unseen leak.

Opinions? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  8. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ambient temperature and humidity both have an impact.
    Humid air hurts cooling ability, as the moisture condenses on the cold evaporator coils, which adds heat to the system.

9. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    It's been REALLY humid here in Southeast PA the last several days. That could actually explain a lot. Do you think based on what I said that my A/C is probably fine? Thanks for the quick reply!

Also, how did you do the old-school block lettering in the grille of your truck? I'd like to do that with mine!

10. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Same out here. Thankfully, the most humid days have been a bit cooler because of the cloud cover, but when I walked out the door this morning it was like walking into a sauna.
    I've got the AC running right now even though it's down to 70 (inside and out) just to keep the air dry. Humidity is still 52% inside.
    That is an 80 series FJ emblem that I put on perforated mesh.
    Look up "Satoshi" for the procedure on the basic grille mod.

11. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    Do you mean the A/C in your truck or the central air in your house? LOL

12. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    Anyway, yeah...

It has been extraordinarily humid here. There is absolutely reason for my A/C to be leaking. Still gonna spray the dead bugs out of the condenser with the hose tomorrow though.

13. Jul 16, 2014 at 4:24 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Welcome to tw!

14. Jul 16, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    I absolutely love my truck, except for two things. The first thing I DISLIKE about it is the lack of intermittent/variable-speed windshield wipers. The second thing was poor factory stereo system. The speakers were absolute garbage. For $240, I purchased a Pioneer head unit and Pioneer component speaker system. Needless to say, it now sounds awesome!

Anyway, I would like to install a subwoofer and amp to further improve my stereo system. I bought the head unit, speakers, and all installation gear through Crutchfield.

Crutchfield is awesome, but they only offer enclosures for the extra cab and crew cab models. Does anybody know of a company that makes prefab enclosures for regular cab models, or has anybody fabricated an enclosure? I am looking to add an 8-inch subwoofer and a 250-500w amp.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  15. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    IMHO, if you have a leak that took 5 years to leak out a little bit, thats not worth fixing ... yet. Take your truck to an A/C shop and have them top off your refridgerant.

16. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    I'm not even gonna do that much if I do indeed need a charge. I'm gonna buy a can or two of R134a and have my buddy who is a mechanic top it off for free.

17. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    That should do it. I hope your buddy knows the proper way to charge without overcharging (which could damage the system).

18. Jul 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)
    Humidity plays a large role in the performance of the a/c. On really humid days here in WV, my A/C doesnt perform as it should. It keeps it cold but not as cold as usual. I believe your a/c is good, just hope for not alot of humid days.

19. Jul 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    It was about 80°F today with low humidity. I drove around with the windows down for most of the day because it was so beautiful out. However, I was driving through a work zone so I rolled up the windows and turned up the A/C. It was blowing crisp and cold like it should. Also, on extraordinarily hot days even with high humidity, if I am driving at 60-70 MPH for a while with minimal stopping, the A/C gets so freezing cold that I have to turn up the temperature!

20. Jul 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    My truck was purchased brand new in September 2009, and I absolutely love it. The two things I disliked about my truck from day one, however...

The first issue was the lackluster factory stereo system, which I replaced with an all-Pioneer system in Spring 2013. Needless to say, it's a 110% improvement over stock. Stereo systems in 2005-present 2nd gen Tacomas are much easier to replace than many people think.

The second thing I hate about my truck is the lack of intermittent/variable-speed windshield wipers. Tilt/telescoping steering column has been standard in the Tacoma since 2005. Side curtain airbags and a limited-slip differential became standard in 2009, and air-conditioning finally became standard in 2011. The base model Tacomas (including the extra cabs and crew cabs) still do not as of 2014 have intermittent wipers.

I did not realize my truck lacked a feature many of us take for granted until two days after we bought it.

Anyway, my Toyota dealer refuses to mess with it and the service department there thought I was making too big a deal about what they see as a small issue in an otherwise awesome truck.

Several mechanics I know seem to think it could be done, but have requested to look at the truck first. I've done research online and it appears that it is indeed possible to install intermittent wipers on a base model Tacoma. However, how should I go about doing this?:

Do I look for a wrecked higher-end Tacoma in a junkyard and take the wiper control stalk from that?

Do I buy the wiper control on eBay or some other website?

Do I order the parts from the Toyota dealer or a parts distributor?

Once I get the necessary parts...

I am afraid to install the part myself. How difficult is this?

Should I take it to a mechanic or Toyota authorized service tech (outside the dealer)?

On another note, how hard is it to install cruise control?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top